Origin: Highlands (Scotland)
Type: Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Ageing casks: Ex-Bourbon
Added coloring: Yes
Average price: € 64.00
Official website: www.obanwhisky.com
After having tried the basic version, I tackle the special Oban version made in honour of the TV serial The Game of Thrones, in the edition entitled The Night’s Watch, whose name also recalls the distillery’s basic NAS, Little Bay.
The all-black bottle is beautiful, a very apt design.
As always, here’s a summary of all the editions:
– Cardhu Gold Reserve (dedicated to the House Targaryen);
– Clynelish Reserve (dedicated to the House Tyrell);
– Dalwhinnie Winter’s Frost (dedicated to the House Stark);
– Lagavulin 9yo (dedicated to the House Lannister);
– Mortlach 15yo (dedicated to the Six Kingdoms);
– Oban Bay Reserve (dedicated to the Night’s Watch);
– Royal Lachnagar 12yo (dedicated to the House Baratheon);
– Singleton of Glendullan Reserve (dedicated to the House Tully);
– Talisker Select Reserve (dedicated to the House Greyjoy).
Nominally not part of the series, but nevertheless inspired by GoT, are the following:
– Johnnie Walker White Walker (dedicated to the White Walkers);
– Johnnie Walker Song of Fire and Johnnie Walker Song of Ice.
The first aroma to greet me on the nose is solvent, accompanied by candle wax and tomato (?). Behind this acidic blanket are notes of orangeade, yeast, unripe melon and a drop of honey. A nose like this, I have to admit, I had never heard before, not exactly inviting…
Sweeter on the palate, confirming the oily texture with fruit (melon, red apple), candied orange, vanilla, liquorice, hazelnuts, aniseed, with a drop of honey. Impression of tamarind. Very light, almost imperceptible puff of smoke in the background.
Quite long finish, bitterish, still of solvent, hazelnuts, aniseed, puff of smoke.
Obviously, Oban and I don’t get along. If I wasn’t satisfied with the 14 year old, I find this special edition almost repulsive, with just a recovery on the palate.
Credit to this bottle for making me experience scents I’ve never felt before, but I was better off before…
The Whiskey Jug